Tuesday, July 29, 2014

“We think of it as giving our customers more than they paid for.”
OKCupid experiments with 'bad' dating matches
Dating website OKCupid has revealed that it experimented on its users, including putting the "wrong" people together to see if they would connect.
It revealed the tests after the uproar over Facebook manipulating the feeds of its users.
"If you use the internet, you're the subject of hundreds of experiments at any given time, on every site," it said. "That's how websites work."
OKCupid said one revelation was that "people just look at the picture".
As well as allowing users to upload pictures and set up dating profiles, OKCupid asks users questions and matches them with potential partners based on the answers.
In one experiment, the site took pairs of "bad" matches between two people - about 30% - and told them they were "exceptionally good" for each other, or 90% matches. "Not surprisingly, the users sent more first messages when we said they were compatible," Christian Rudder, one of the founders of OKCupid, said in a blog post on the company's research and insights blog.


Everything my students will ever need to know about Copyright in one simple flowchart! (Then again, maybe not.)
Flowchart: Can You Use That Copyrighted Picture?
… Before starting, you’d first need to be familiar with four terms: copyright, fair use, creative commons and public domain. With the help of this flowchart, it’s easy to figure out where you stand with copyright law.


This is interesting. It also suggests other “real user” review possibilities.
– Get a peek into the mind of your users. See and hear a 5-minute video of a real person using your site or app. It’s fast and it’s free. Getting the opinions of real people on your site idea, your app idea, or your new site design can be invaluable feedback, before launching. Find out what people like and dislike, so you can make appropriate changes.


Oh great. There's an App for that too? My Criminal Justice students will love this.
The App I Used to Break Into My Neighbor’s Home
When I broke into my neighbor’s home earlier this week, I didn’t use any cat burglar skills. I don’t know how to pick locks. I’m not even sure how to use a crowbar. It turns out all anyone needs to invade a friend’s apartment is an off switch for their conscience and an iPhone.
This was done politely: I even warned him the day before. My neighbor lives on the second floor of a Brooklyn walk-up, so when I came to his front door he tossed me a pair of keys rather than walk down the stairs to let me in. I opened the door, climbed the stairs, and handed his keys back to him. We chatted about our weekends. I drank a glass of water. Then I let him know that I would be back soon to gain unauthorized access to his home.
Less than an hour later, I owned a key to his front door.
What I didn’t tell my neighbor was that I spent about 30 seconds in the stairwell scanning his keys with software that would let me reproduce them with no specialized skills whatsoever. The iPhone app I used wasn’t intended for anything so nefarious: KeyMe was designed to let anyone photograph their keys and upload them to the company’s servers. From there, they can be 3-D printed and mail-ordered in a variety of novelty shapes, from a bottle opener to Kanye West’s head. Or they can be cut from blanks at one of KeyMe’s five kiosks in the New York City area.

(Related) One of many articles...
Amazon Launches 3D Print Portal
If proof were needed that 3D printing is here to stay, we’ve got it in the form of a 3D printing portal on Amazon. This dedicated section of the online retailer highlights 3D-printed products that can be customized, personalized, or merely just ordered. Sellers of 3D-printed wares can apply to be added to the portal. These products aren’t necessarily cheap, but they are at the cutting edge of technology, which surely adds value.


Dilbert explains the route Steve Jobs did NOT take.

No comments: